The Abel Board
The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters awards the Abel Prize each year on behalf of the Norwegian Government.
The Abel Board consists of five members appointed by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters on recommendation from:
- The Norwegian Academy’s own group of mathematicians
- The Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters
- UHR: Universities Norway
The Secretary General of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters is a Board observer.
The Abel Board’s main tasks are to:
- be responsible for the mathematical events and measures related the prize
- implement measures aimed at stimulating the interest in mathematics among children and young people
- propose a budget and annual plan for the Abel prize, which are presented to the Board of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.